Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Simple Dress: A tutorial

I had been itching to get my sewing machine out lately but had no projects in mind. So I started going through my stash. When I came upon this cute owl fabric I instantly thought 'Dress'! 
S wears dresses EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.
And it happens to be a rotation of the same 4-5 dresses. 
So I thought giving her another option wouldn't be a bad idea.

I started out with a white long sleeve shirt and the fabric (measuring 18x21 inches).


I folded the fabric in half and stitched up the side to make a hoop of fabric. 
Then I hemmed along the bottom.


Along the top I hand sewed a gathering stitch leaving excess thread at both ends.


I then pulled on the thread to gather in the fabric and pinned it to the shirt. 
(Right sides together, with the skirt going up towards the top of the shirt)


I sewed the skirt onto the shirt, cut off the excess shirt and serged it.


Flip it right side out and you should have a dress.


I went a step further and sewed on sash so that the waist could be tightened.


I think she likes it, she wore it two days in a row!



Happy Tuesday!



2 comments:

  1. Justine,
    How darling is this dress!!!! It looks precious on your daughter. You make sewing like this look so easy. So....what are you going to do with the part of the top you cut off:):):)
    Happy Valentines Day,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Total cuteness - both Sadie and the dress!! Adorable owl fabric...perfect choice for a sweet, girlie dress!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! If this is your first time here, say hello. I truly appreciate any comments given and read every single one. A new comment seriously makes my day. Thank you so much!
~ Justine