Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Simple Dress: A tutorial

I had been itching to get my sewing machine out lately but had no projects in mind. So I started going through my stash. When I came upon this cute owl fabric I instantly thought 'Dress'! 
S wears dresses EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.
And it happens to be a rotation of the same 4-5 dresses. 
So I thought giving her another option wouldn't be a bad idea.

I started out with a white long sleeve shirt and the fabric (measuring 18x21 inches).


I folded the fabric in half and stitched up the side to make a hoop of fabric. 
Then I hemmed along the bottom.


Along the top I hand sewed a gathering stitch leaving excess thread at both ends.


I then pulled on the thread to gather in the fabric and pinned it to the shirt. 
(Right sides together, with the skirt going up towards the top of the shirt)


I sewed the skirt onto the shirt, cut off the excess shirt and serged it.


Flip it right side out and you should have a dress.


I went a step further and sewed on sash so that the waist could be tightened.


I think she likes it, she wore it two days in a row!



Happy Tuesday!