Wednesday, July 18, 2012

You are my Sunshine 1st Birthday


 As you may remember we celebrated T's first birthday last month.
I did a 'You are my Sunshine' theme, which was fitting since I made these canvas' for her room. I even made some of the decorations with the idea that they could be transfered to her room after the party.

Above is a foam wreath that greeted the guests at the front door. I just wrapped the foam in fabric and bakers twine, made some fabric rosettes and pinned them on, and added a little banner and a card stock sunshine.

Here's what the inside of the house looked like at a glance (darn upper window glare,err).


 I did up the mantel with the canvas as the centerpiece. I made a huge number 1 out of cereal boxes and tissue paper (no it was not a pinata, haha). I also made several pennant banners out of some old tea towels and double fold bias tape which were placed randomly around the whole room and in the entry way.



I made a 'Happy Birthday' banner using the cricut. I used the Close to my Heart Art Philosophy cartridge for the banner and Create a Critter cartridge for the little sunshines that were around the house.

Above the kitchen table I made two tissue paper pompoms to resemble a raincloud and sun (inspiration from here). I also found some Martha Stewart sparkle garland for $2, so I cascaded that from the chandelier to the windows.

The food table was decorated with a runner made out of the leftover tea towel pieces from the pennants. I bought some pink paper straws to sip lemonade from mason jars(from here, but apparently they don't sell them anymore...). Chocolate and sprinkle covered pretzel rods were a cinch to make and are so yummy! For lunch we just had a couple of salads,veggies, and a make-your-own sandwich spot.

For the birthday cake I made a Pink Lemonade cake with a pink icing sugar glaze, which I found through pinterest. Apparently they have 'perfected' the recipe so it is not the same as what I made. I would like to try the new recipe though. With the original I ended up making 2 cakes, I screwed up on the first one, ha! Anyways...
To carry on the pennant look I decided to do a banner cake topper instead of actually decorating the cake. I also didn't want to wreck the taste of the glaze or the cake with different icing. On both this banner and the one used on the wreath I used the Stampin Up Pennant builder punch. It made my life so much easier for these projects!


Perfected or not, T really liked it!! As you can see the inside wasn't a nice pastel pink as it should have been I blame that on having red food coloring not a nice Wilton pink. But hey, it worked! Everyone seemed to enjoy it!


T also liked eating her cards! Handcrafted by some of our lil guests, so sweet.






As a take home favor I bought raw wood frames, painted them blue, and stamped a line from the 'You are my Sunshine' song with Stazon. I then printed out family pics of everyone in sepia tone to go in the frames.
The kids also recieved a little goodie bag with bubbles and smarties...baby guests recieved fruit chews.


Activity wise, the kids just ran around and played either in the house or on the deck. Us adults drank coffee and had a good morning conversing. Very relaxed and enjoyable!
Of course T didn't make it to the end, she was so tired I had to put her down for her nap. What a sweetheart.

Overall the party went over really well!


Our little sunshine is ONE and she definitely makes our days brighter!
Happy first birthday sweet girl!







linked to:
Sugar and Dots