Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Keepin' My Ears Warm


I've been feeling under the weather lately.
I've caught two different colds in the past ten days and the latest one has hit me hard.
This has brought a VERY slow start to my 2012....
....but luckily for you I have some projects leftover from 2011 to share!

In the midst of making Christmas gifts I realized I needed something to keep my ears warm for all the outdoor activities we'd be doing over the Christmas season (for instance making Frosty). I decided to try my hand at an ear warmer, since that is what I needed it to do, haha.....besides toques give you hat hair right?!

I wanted to make it out of fleece but the color selection was horrible at Walmart so I made it out of felt instead. (fleece would be easier for washing so I would go with that if you have the option)


 Supplies:
-Felt or fleece
- sewing machine
- button
-scissors

1. Cut a strip long enough to fit around your head (add some inches for the button hole to overlap) and wide enough to add thickness (Mine was 10 inches wide by 26 inches long ). 
2. Fold it into four lengthwise. I actually folded the two long edges into the middle and then fold it in half...if that makes sense? Making one thick strip (when folded mine was 2.5 inches wide and 26 inches long)
3. Top stitch around the whole rectangle.
4. Sew on a button at one end
5. Cut a hole in the opposite end for the button to fit through
6. Add any embellishments you may want to add (my flower is also made of felt).

  What an easy make-it-myself way to keep my ears warm.....without the hat head!

linked to:
Blissful and Domestic
Let Birds Fly
Sugar and Dots
fingerprints on the fridge